Secure Use of IT (IT Security)
This module sets out concepts relating to the secure use of ICT in daily life and skills used to maintain a secure network connection, use the Internet safely and securely, and manage data and information appropriately. On completion of this module the learner will be able to:
- Understand the importance of keeping information and data secure, and identify common data/privacy protection, retention and control principles.
- Recognise threats to personal security from identity theft and potential threats to data from using cloud computing.
- Be able to use passwords and encryption to secure files and data.
- Understand the threat of malware and be able to protect a computer, device or network from malware and address malware attacks.
- Recognise common network and wireless security types and be able to use personal firewalls and personal hotspots.
- Protect a computer or device from unauthorised access and be able to safely manage and update passwords.
- Use appropriate web browser settings and understand how to authenticate websites and browse the web securely.
- Understand communication security issues that can arise from using e-mail, social networks, voice over Internet protocol, instant messaging and mobile devices.
- Back up and restore data to local and cloud storage locations and delete and dispose of data and devices securely.
Who Should Attend This Course
This course is intended for learners who wish to equip themselves with the necessary knowledge and skills to use ICT tools in a secure manner.
The learner must be able to read, write, speak and understand English (Work Place Literacy Level 4 – lower secondary level)
- Course Code AC17
- Duration 2 days (16 hours of training), 9:00am - 6:00pm
- Level All levels
Secure Web Use
Secure Data Management