What is Workfare Training Support (WTS)
The Workfare Training Support Scheme, or WTS, encourages individuals to attend training to upgrade their skills and improve their employability.
To qualify, individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Singapore Citizen; and
- Aged 35 years and above (13 years and above for Persons With Disabilities); and
- Earn a monthly income of not more than $2,000.
Eligible individuals may receive:
- Course Fee Subsidy
95% course fee funding to lower training cost
- Training Allowance
Training allowance of $4.50/hr for trainees who take up training without employer support
- Training Commitment Award
A $200 cash reward workfare bonus for completing training
Each of these are detailed in the sections that follows.
What is Course Fee Subsidy
Individuals eligible under Workfare Training Support can benefit from 95% course fee funding when they sign up for any course approved for WTS funding:
- Singapore Workforce Skills Qualifications courses i.e. WSQ courses
- Approved Academic Continuing Education and Training (CET) courses offered by the Institute of Technical Education (ITE) and 5 local Polytechnics
- Certifiable Skills Training Courses accredited or supported by SkillsFuture Singapore
Who is eligible for Course Fee Subsidy
You will qualify if you:
- are a Singapore citizen;
- are aged 35 years and above on 31 December of the work year (aged 13 years and above for persons with disabilities);
- earn an average gross monthly income of not more than $2,000 for the month worked; and
- have signed up for any WTS qualifying courses.
To successfully claim for Course Fee Subsidy
You must meet the following criteria:
- Be employed;
- Achieve at least 75% course attendance;
- Take all assessments; and
- Pass the course.
As proof of eligibility, you are required to submit your Certification Slip (or other equivalent documents) at the same WTS Service touchpoint where you have made your application, within 120 days after the last day of your course (including weekends and public holidays).
What is Training Allowance
If you sign up and pay for any WTS courses on your own, you are eligible for training allowance of $4.50 for each hour of training. Terms and Conditions apply.
Who is eligible for Training Allowance
You must meet the following Workfare Training Support eligibility criteria:
- You are a Singapore citizen;
- You are aged 35 years and above (aged 13 years and above for persons with disabilities); and
- You are employed and earn a monthly income of $2,000 or less.
How to apply for Training Allowance
Training allowance is only available for individuals who pay for their own training.
From 1 January 2018, when you pay for your own training, you will qualify for training allowance if:
- you complete and pass the course with minimum 75% attendance;
- the course that you attended started within your WTS eligibility period;
- you are not barred from receiving SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) / Workforce Singapore (WSG) / Employment and Employability Institute (e2i) grants; and
- the training course attended is assessed by WSG to be relevant to the job / sector you are working in.
From 1 Jan 2018, individuals are only required to make one trip down to any of their preferred WSG’s Careers Connect or NTUC’s e2i centres within 120 days after the course end date, to apply and submit the claim application. This is applicable to claim applications for courses starting from 1 Jan 2018. Individuals are to bring along the following original documents:
- WTS notification letter (of the year in which the course was taken);
- Valid bank book or statement;
- Certification slip (from the Training Provider); and
- Any of the employment documentation to prove job relevancy:
- Any one month’s payslip / CPF statement showing employer’s contribution, dated within 3 months from the date of claim;
- Employment letter / Contract of service or equivalent, dated within 3 months from the date of claim; or
- Accounting and Corporate Regulatory (ACRA) business registration and business transaction documents, e.g. revenue receipt / invoice.
What is Training Commitment Award
The Training Commitment Award is a cash incentive which serves to motivate and reward individuals for undergoing sustained training. Individuals who meet the qualifying criteria can enjoy a WSQ cash award of $200, up to a maximum of $400 per year.
Who is eligible for Training Commitment Award
You are eligible for Training Commitment Award if you have a Workfare Training Support (WTS) Letter and achieve one of the following:
- Two WSQ Statements of Attainment (SOA) attained within a 12- month period;
- One WSQ qualification;
- One Academic CET Modular Certificate or Post-Diploma Certificate;
- One Academic CET Qualification; or
- One Qualification for Other Certifiable Course supported and approved by SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG).
Those eligible will receive $200 for every qualification, modular / post-diploma certificate or two WSQ SOAs attained within a 12-month period, capped at $400 a year.
How to apply for Training Commitment Award
No application is required.
Eligible individuals will automatically be awarded the Training Commitment Award (TCA) upon achieving any of the following:
For WSQ courses:
- Two Statements of Attainment (SOA) within a 12-month period OR
- One WSQ qualification
For CET courses offered by ITE and 5 local Polytechnics:
- One academic Modular/Post-Diploma Certificate OR
- One academic qualification
For Certifiable Skills Training Courses accredited or supported by SkillsFuture Singapore:
- One qualification
Individuals will receive $200 for each achievement, up to $400 per year.
The TCA payment details will be included in the Workfare letter.