Employment Act Course
Employment Law Training
Employment Act Course trains HR Professionals in employment law of Singapore. After the course, you will be able to interpret and apply the Employment Act correctly.
For business owners and employers, this HR law training will help you keep your business in order and compliant with employment regulations.
After the workshop, you will be able to:
- understand the legislation that governs human capital relations in Singapore and its provisions
- interpret the Employment Act and its clauses competently, and apply correctly
- appreciate the implications of various provisions
- keep up to date with the latest amendments to the Act
- review company HR policy and practices
This course is part of the HR Courses series on Coursemology.
What is the Employment Act
The Employment Act is Singapore’s main labor law. It provides for the basic terms and working conditions for all types of employees, with certain exceptions.
It is essential for any HR practitioners and anyone who has to operate the Employment Act in the workplace to have an in-depth understanding of its interpretation and application. Knowledge of the employment law and keeping up to date on legislative and regulatory changes will keep your organisation from infringements.
What will you learn
Macro Perspectives of EA Changes
- EA Changes and its rationale
- Implications of EA Changes for Organisations
- Consequences of EA Changes for HR Practitioners
Key Features and Definition
- Overview of the Parts and Sections
- Interpretation of Terms
- Contracts of Service versus Contracts for Service (Definition of Employee)
- Differentiate Workman, Non-Workmen & PME (Professional, Managers and Executives)
- Who are protected by the Act?
- Who are not covered under the Act?
- Are PMEs protected by the Act?
Contract of Service
- Illegal Terms
- Contract of Service versus Contract for Service
- Termination of Contract with notice and without notice
- Notice of Termination of Contract
- Dismissal and Misconduct of Employees
- Cross Reference to TAFEP guidelines
- TADPM and ECT (Employment Claim Tribunals)
Payment of Salary
- Salary Period and Time of Payment
- Salary Computation
- Cross Reference to Income Tax Act
- Authorised and Unauthorised Deductions
Rest Days, Hours of Work and Other Conditions of Service
- Rest Day
- Computation of Salary for Work on Rest Day
- Hours of Work and Overtime Pay Computation
- Annual Leave
- Retrenchment Benefits
- Retirement Benefits (and Cross Reference to Retirement and Re-Employment Act)
- Annual Wage Supplement
Maternity Leave and Childcare Leave
- Maternity Benefits
- Childcare Leave
- Cross Reference to Childcare Development Co-savings Act
Holidays and Sick Leave Entitlements
- Holiday Benefits
- Computation of Salary for Work on Public Holiday
- Sick Leave and Hospitalisation Leave Entitlement
- Sick Leave Entitlement During Probation & After Confirmation
Recent Regulatory Changes
- Year 2016 changes: Key Employment Terms (KETs), Itemised Payslip and Keeping Employees Record
- Year 2017 changes
- Proposed changes for Year 2019
- Course Reference Number CRS-N-0028057
- Duration 2 Days