How to Become a Security Officer
To become a security officer in Singapore and get security officer jobs, a security officer licence is required if you are employed to perform any of the following functions:
- Patrolling or guarding another person’s property (including cash in transit) by physical means (which may involve the use of patrol dogs) or by electronic means;
- Keeping the property (including cash in transit) of another person under surveillance, including for the purpose of preventing theft thereof;
- Acting as a bodyguard or bouncer;
- Performing any function of screening individuals, as part of your regular duties, seeking entry into any public place or other premises; and
- Regulating traffic under the Road Traffic Act (Cap. 276).
There are 3 Steps to obtain a security officer license.
Step 1: Apply for Security Officer Licence
To apply for security officer license, you need to get security clearance by Police Licensing & Regulatory Department (PLRD) before you can apply for a job as a security guard. Eligibility details can be found on PLRD’s website.
- Use your SingPass to Log in to LicenceOne website (https://licence1.business.gov.sg/web/frontier/eAdvisor)
- Refer to this for Step-by-Step guide on the licence application,
- You may apply for training exemption by uploading the relevant documents to the portal If you have prior training/experience,
- Payment of $16.00 for application fee and wait for 2 weeks for the outcome
Step 2: Attend 3 compulsory modules under Basic Licensing Units
These 3 modules under the Basic Licensing Units (BLUs) are the compulsory security courses needed for a security licence in Singapore.
Unless you have prior experience and are exempted by PLRD, anyone who is keen to become a security officer will have to take and successfully pass the 3 courses below before getting the security licence.
Click to find out more on our Security Officer Courses
Step 3: Apply for Security ID Card
To apply for the Security ID card, visit USE Customer Service Centre.
The processing fee is $22.50 (with GST).
USE Customer Service Centre
200 Jalan Sultan #03-24
Contact number: 63346393
Monday – Friday: 9am – 5pm
Last Tuesday of the Month: 9am – 1pm
Closed on Public Holidays, Saturdays and Sundays
Additional Information :
- Malaysians who are keen to become security officers will need a valid Singapore work permit and a Certificate of Non-Criminal Conviction (CNCC), also known as Certificate of Good Conduct to apply for the licence.
- After your complete your course and secure your Security ID Card, some of the full time and part time jobs are shown below.
- A full time security guard officer can earn up to $2,500 in gross pay salary per month under the Progressive Wage Model :
Career advancement for the security industry is also possible through the PWM.